Thursday, September 11, 2014

Grand Haven, Michigan: Part I

 
Summer is never complete without a trip home--and to Aunt Annie's cottage (and Aunt Mary's!)...and a view of Gracie's from Annie's window. August felt more like a Michigan September--which made me happy, as I love the 'colder' weather and the opportunity to bundle up a bit.
This is just part one--we arrived the last weekend of "Pirate's Week"...and met Mame and Andy and the wee one that Mame is expecting !! ... here are a few snaps. More to follow
 Julia lost both of her front teeth this summer--along with two more on the bottom...we took photos every day, then it seemed that, overnight, the teeth grew in!

 Pirate's Booty!
 The Musical Fountain...I was quite sad that the 'new voice' of the Musical Fountain doesn't come close to resembling the deep voice from just a few years ago, and from my entire childhood...in fact, the new voice is basically a sales pitch. Sigh. Some things have to change, I suppose, to help finance 'tradition'...
 Mame and Andy, on my sister Annie's back porch..
 Graham
 The end of the Pier...

 Mary's eyes pop out big and blue behind a Fricano's placemat. Pizza only--no salads...and bad wine served. Pizza, basically, tossed on the table at you. Cash only. Fricano's has been a tradition forever...I had to take G&J there, or I would not be true to my roots! Normally, the pizza is burned on the bottom and tastes like something soft and kind of ... mushy. Maybe it's my taste buds dying out, but the pizza actually tasted good this time. Or maybe it's because the 500 year old woman who used to work in the kitchen has found her way into Heaven. God bless those angels she cooks for ;)

 Riding on Graham's 'lodge' -- One of our more snarly neighbors marks His Beach with a bunch of logs...well, Graham named the logs his 'lodge' and refused to budge--even after the sun set, even when the colddddddd -- and I mean cold! -- set in...Julia and kitty made it up the hill and back to the cottage...I waited it out with Graham.
 "C'mon mom, get inside my lodge!"
 perfect sunset viewing
 Pirate Week
 Sunset over Lake Michigan. Heaven!
No boy worth his cottage salt has anything but a tent to sleep in...Aunt Annie helped design the children's cottage bedroom...I wish we could live there forever!

1 comment:

marytaos said...

Fantastic Summer with all!