Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Air & Space Museum Hangar

In honor of Veteran's Day, we made the drive out to the Air & Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport. Graham and Julia have been asking to go to the Air & Space museum 'again' for a couple of weeks now, but they had only been to the one downtown.

Nothing compares to the Udvar-Hazy Center. It is a huge hangar which houses the Enterprise and numerous spacecraft and air craft, plus an observation deck where you can view for miles and miles and watch the planes taking off and landing at Dulles.

Graham was beside himself. He rarely stopped talking about all of the rockets, spent time finding one that was 'his size' (the Enterprise he deemed 'too big for me mommy!'), and it was virtually impossible to get a photo of him not only standing still, but near one of the rockets...as he kept looking at the rockets and talking to them.

As I carried my tired little astronaut out to the car, I kissed him and said "you're my baby"...Graham said "I'm not a baby!" I asked him what he was:
"I'm an ASTRONAUT."
But of course. Enjoy the pictures.

Look at the astronauts! There! Up There!
There! See? There!
I can see them, Graham!
I think
Do I look like the little Mars Astronaut Girl?
Can I take her home? Julia in front of an astronaut "doll" which apparently was manufactured in the 1960s and given to VIPS as gifts. It was kind of creepy, actually.
Sir? Yes, Sir! I'm an astronaut.
Julia in front of the Enterprise
The Enterprise
"That's My Rocketship! It's just my size...the Enterprise is too big for me, mommy!!!" Graham took to this small 'rocket ship' although I don't think it's even a rocket ship ;)

So many rockets, so little time.
I want that one! Graham goes rocket shopping.
Oh, yeah? You bet I'm an astronaut!
Let me prove it to you.
Yes, Julia, stick with me and I'll show you the Universe!

Julia, mommy, Graham and the Enterprise.

No comments: