Sunday, March 14, 2010

A morning at the zoo

The zoo brought many fun surprises when we visited with Intown Playgroup on a recent Friday morning.

Graham took to the Gorillas, the Orangutans, and the elephants. At the Gorilla house, only plexiglass separated us all from the Gorillas and the Orangutans...Graham adored the huge beasts. The gorillas would walk back and forth on a ledge right in front of him, and his joy was obvious.

As for Julia, she shivered against me when the gorillas walked on the other side of the plexiglass. The beasts were just too large for her!
But the mommy carrying her baby gorilla on her back obviously made an impression on Julia, who kept saying when we returned home.
Gorilla
Baby
Then Julia would point to her own back and say "back. Baby." Beyond adorable, our Julia!

Back to the Gorilla house...
Graham also made a very dear friend, Mr. Orangutan...the two stared one another down, and Graham was thrilled. So fun.
I'm the cutest animal here, well, my brother's okay too!
Can we take the Emu home? I promise to feed and walk him!!!

Elephant! Trunk! Elephant! Trunk! Graham anounced these words to every tourist at the zoo. He'll make a terrific volunteer some day ;)

These Gorillas and Orangutans are awfully big. Let's go eat cookies!
Julia with Stephanie.
" Hey, Jules! Look at my new friend! Isn't he neat? Do you think we can sneak him up to our bedroom?"
"Um, he's awfully big, let's go eat lunch!"

"Aw, c'mon Julia! We can put some of our dinner in our pants and sneak it up to him! Mommy will never know!"

"Huh, mommy? I can't take him home? Why Not?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Orangutan. My mommy said no. But I'll come back to visit you soon, OK?"

"Uh, mommy said these were lions, but we were standing far away on a hill and ran over here. Mommy then said 'oops, I didn't have my glasses on. They are only horses.' What a gyp!"

Hey! You! Mr! Turn around, I have something to talk to you about!

Aw, please???

Hey! Get back here! I want to talk to you about something really important!

Now, this is MY idea of how to visit the zoo. Statues and Posters and stuffed animals, oh my!

No comments: